Main Club Sponsors / Urraitheoirí Club


Situated at the mouth of Towney Bay, Towney GAA grounds are situated in one of the most beautiful settings in Ireland and are widely photographed and visited by tourists to the area and featured in sports websites like Over the years it has hosted hundreds if not thousands of matches on both pitches (pre 1984 matches were played at the Michael Òg Memorial Park which was recently redeveloped). One of the largest events held at the grounds was the 2004 Comortas Peil na Gaeltachta and the club host it again in 2026 (it was planned for our centenary year but the COVID lockdown put it back two years). The grounds will undergo major works to host the upcoming event. It was also use for the GAA scenes in the 2023 movie "In the Lands of Saints and Sinners".

It goes without saying that C.L.G Chill Chartha would not be in the privileged position that it is in without the tireless work that has been put in by the many dedicated volunteers throughout the years. 

As we approach our Club’s centenary year it is only right that we acknowledge and thank those whohave helped progress the many different aspects of the Club for nearly 100 years.

Outlined below are some of the major development milestones that have brought C.L.G Chill Chartha to where we are now. Not all are mentioned as that would be a book in and of itself!

Major Club Development Milestones

1924 – Formation of C.L.G Chill Chartha 1948 – Sportsfield known as ‘Towney Strand’ vested as Kilcar

Parish property. 100 Year foreshore lease granted to the Trustees of the Kilcar Parish Sportsfield.

1949 – Diversion of river to the Kilbeg side of the strand.

1964 – Transfer of Lands from the Michael Òg Memorial Committee to Kilcar GAA Club.

1980 – Hugh Hegarty, last trustee of The Kilcar Sportsfield, transfers ownership to Kilcar GAA Club.

1984 – New Field officially opened on August 5th, by Pàdraig Mac ‘a Ghioll and blessed by Bishop Seamus Hegarty.

1986 – River defences rebuilt along New Field following severe storm damage in 1985.

1990 – Rock wall erected along riverside of the Old Field.

1998 – Planning starts for New Dressing Rooms.

2004 – New Dressing Rooms opened on May 2nd.

2014 – Work commenced on the development & upgrading of Michael Òg Memorial Park.

Works to include:

- New Surface

- Fencing

- Floodlights

2016 – Michael Òg Memorial Park works complete & reopened.

2017 – Commemorative stone erected at entrance to Club grounds.

2023 – Club Development Plan

2023 – 2028 Published & Initiated.

CLG Chill Chartha would like to thank all our sponsors, your continued support is much appreciated!